Diff gear ratios

Go down

Diff gear ratios

Post by Ted FM 13 on Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:59 am

So, after a couple of years of living it with it, I finally changed the rear end from 3:42 to 3:23. I've got a Tremac 5 speed out of a Camaro and the S-10 rear end that came with the kit, or so I'm told. On the front straightaway I need to get to about 125 mph before lifting for T-1 at Thunderhill in CA. I'd redline too early and realized 5th is not a racing gear since it's overdrive and worthless on track. Also, 1st is useless on the street as well as the track, so I went to a 3:23. Although I haven't been on track yet, I'm pretty sure it will pull all the way to lift and turn in for T-1. Also, it's a lot more civilized and driveable on the street. I'm sure the 3:42 is choice for auto-cross, but it didn't work for me on my tracks.
Ted FM 13

View user profile http://tidlof.wix.com/shoe-string-racing

Back to top Go down

Re: Diff gear ratios

Post by jtmineha on Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:02 pm

I'm running the Astro A-5 (beefed up version of the T-5) on my LS1 powered car. I mostly just do autocross and had been running the 3.23 rear end. With the slicks (23" diameter rears) I was getting about 74mph out of second, and it was OK, but found the rev limiter a lot. I recently switched to the Ford 8.8 rear end, and went with a 3.08 rear end to try to get a few more MPH out of 2nd.  So far, it feels pretty good for autocross.  First is very usable (I think it goes to 48mph or so). In second gear, its a little low in the RPMs coming out of the slow corners (25-30mph), but it lets me be a little more aggressive with the throttle, and it's not so touchy digging out of a slow corner.
One of the surprising things I found that helped with making first gear "more functional", was when I switched to the lightweight flywheel. The first year I drove the car with the standard flywheel - not sure what type it was, but it was full diameter and pretty heavy. Last year, when I switched to the Tilton 7.25" flywheel and clutches, I struggled to launch the car in Second gear (like I had done before), and found first gear was very manageable and usable, now. Its kind of weird, but was like the heavy flywheel/clutch package was messing with how the tires were able to manage the torque. Not sure if anyone else has had the same experience.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum