steering rack ratio

View previous topic View next topic Go down

steering rack ratio

Post by Ted FM 13 on Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:06 pm

What ratio do you guys have? Do you have an 8:1 for autocross? and maybe 12:1 for road racing?

Mine seems too quick for road racing or even spirited driving in the hills. I just measured it and for one turn of the steering wheel, the inside wheel is moving at least 40 if not 45 deg. to full lock. That's an 8:1 ratio or less which, coupled with power steering feels pretty skittish at speeds over 60.

I suppose I could remove the PS (don't think running dry or low on fluid is recommended) but I think I'd rather get a slower rack which I'm sure is not cheap. My Formula Mazda rack was well north of $500.

Anyway, what ratio came with your car and what kind of competition do you do? Or.....how comfortable are you with it on the street or wherever you drive?
Ted FM 13

View user profile http://tidlof.wix.com/shoe-string-racing

Back to top Go down

Re: steering rack ratio

Post by Brian Degulis on Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:23 am

8:1 and I'm on a road course and that should be fine for the street. Check your settings. To much negative camber in front or Dampers set to loose in front or to tight in rear will give you to much front grip and make the car feel twitchy. Also check toe in not enough will make it hard to keep the car going straight. Also excessive play anywhere in the steering system.

Brian

Brian Degulis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ted FM 13 on Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:40 pm

all good points; I haven't looked at the set up and will do that including castor first.
Ted FM 13

View user profile http://tidlof.wix.com/shoe-string-racing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top