Expected Heim Joint Wear on Stalkers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Expected Heim Joint Wear on Stalkers

Post by comled on Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:45 am

Anyone want to weigh in with their experiences of wear on the suspension and steering heim joints in their cars - especially road cars? I am considering putting rubber boots on some of the heim joints in my car to try to avoid potential issues with dirt getting in the joints. Is it likely to be worth the effort and cost involved?

-Dave

1977 MGB
1973 Norton Commando MkII Interstate
1960 Hammond A100
1949 Ford 8N
comled

View user profile http://comley.us

Back to top Go down

Re: Expected Heim Joint Wear on Stalkers

Post by Ted FM 13 on Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:10 pm

I would think a race shop supplier of heims would have some overall opinion on whether road driving is different from high G track loading when selecting/replacing/protecting heims.  

But, after 12 years of racing a Formula Mazda and routinely replacing the lower outboard heims every spring, (1200-1500 mi/year), I can say no one in my group ever worried about dirt.  And of course we all were off track and collecting dirt at sometime thru the year.  Probably more real dirt than what you'd pick up on the street.  

We replaced the critical outboard heims because they got the most stress and snapped at the threaded shaft just below the head because they were weakened from 1) routine stress of braking and cornering, 2) accidents where things were obviously stressed in directions they were never meant for or 3) aggressive driving banging off the kerbs or flying 3 feet in the air from tire to tire contact.  

In addition, there were many other inboard and lower stressed heims that were never over stressed and never routinely replaced.  We just replaced them when the A-arm or whatever they were attached to was replaced.  Age and dirt were never reasons for replacement of those.  

And I'd expect old heims to get noticeably sloppy in the ball/socket joint long before it would be critical to safety.  

JMHOWTFDIK?

Edit; I better point out that we used Teflon coated sockets that did not require any maintenance; I recall that some heims have a grease fitting, so if you need to grease them they could collect dirt and wear more frequently. If you need more info, I can dig up my old reference information about which type and why we paid top dollar for our heims, but here's a quick FAQ: http://cdn.racerpartswholesale.com/downloads/QA1.pdf
Ted FM 13

View user profile http://tidlof.wix.com/shoe-string-racing

Back to top Go down

Post by comled on Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:11 am

Thanks for the perspective on this Ted, and also the QA1 data sheet. Reading through the FAQ it suggests that running the car on dirt might cause problems with standard teflon-lined heims, but I would hope that's a significantly dirtier environment than my car is likely to see. The QA1's are apparently able to handle dirt better than other teflon-lined heims.

The heims on my car are of "unknown origin", meaning that other than a couple I bought myself, they came with the kit but with no indication of who the manufacturer is or what the specs are. I've looked at the QA1's before and they are quite pricey so I doubt they came with the kit.

None of mine required greasing, thankfully, so they're maintenance free I suppose and I assume they are teflon-lined. Based on your explanation, normal road use other than special causes (i.e. collisions, potholes and ditches) is going to be a lot less stressful than racing use would be. So I'm going to keep my money in my pocket for now and worry about boots later if I see evidence of excessive wear after a few months on the road.

-Dave

1977 MGB
1973 Norton Commando MkII Interstate
1960 Hammond A100
1949 Ford 8N
comled

View user profile http://comley.us

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Degulis on Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:01 am

You pick up a lot more dirt and debris on a track than you do on the street. I use lexan MR1 for the windshield it has a scratch proof coating on it. I get 4 tracks days out of one and it would probably last years on the street. Ordinary automotive paint will pit very badly on any surfaces that face forward. This will start on just one track day. I use Awlgrip paint intended for boats it's much harder than the automotive stuff but eventually it pits. I've replaced more side mirrors that I care to count. Rubber and debris slings off the rear wheels and nails them. The heim joints are one of the few things that never seem to wear out or go bad.

Brian

Brian Degulis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top