Stalker Cars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Windshield for 1st gen

4 posters

Go down

Windshield for 1st gen  Empty Windshield for 1st gen

Post by Sinned180 Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:37 pm

Good day all, I am looking to see if anyone would happen to have a spare windshield for the first gen. This car was my fathers, whom unfortunalty passed last month, and I have inherited and finished it for him. The only thing is he put on a small wind blocker not a windshield on it. With me being up in Edmonton AB the rocks are to often hitting the passengers and drivers. I don't feel safe driving it with my kids and want to let them experience the love of this car. If anyone happens to have a windshield around that would fit it would be appreciated, or at least the assistance to figure out how to get one done.

Thank you so much,

Dennis Porter

Sinned180

Back to top Go down

Windshield for 1st gen  Empty Re: Windshield for 1st gen

Post by Ted FM 13 Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:33 am

If basic safety is all you need, make you own with a piece of 1/8" lexan,  some aluminum angles and the standard windshield mounts.  I think I've attached a couple of pics......we'll see.  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j2qqnuc234jy52a/IMG_2393.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l3aex6nz0aygd5p/IMG_2392.JPG?dl=0
Ted FM 13
Ted FM 13

http://tidlof.wix.com/shoe-string-racing

Back to top Go down

Post by comled Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:11 am

Dennis, sorry to hear about your father.

I like the look of the Lexan shields like Ted has. If I could get away with one on a PA-registered car I would but in some states - and possibly in Edmonton AB - the powers that be might baulk at not using a tempered glass solution.

I don't know about the classic chassis stalkers but on the classic R the windshield kit consists of a plywood template, a surround, and the mounting brackets for the sides. Apparently you take the template to the windshield glass or lexan people and they cut the part to size for you and then you assemble at home. I would reach out to Scott at Stalker Cars directly and see what he suggests - maybe the Classic R would fit the classic chassis cars, but he would know best.

-Dave
comled
comled

http://comley.us

Back to top Go down

Post by Clifford Flath Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:37 am

Dennis,
Do you have the aluminum frame and the polished stainless side windshield supports and the plywood template the Stalker factory supplied with the kits?

Cliff

Clifford Flath

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinned180 Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:49 pm

I was able to find the frame and the angle support. With assembly together how would you all go about bolting the frame to the support. Was there an angle that you worked with or did you just drill into the frame?

I can't seem to find any template. I take it using plywood would be best. Or do you feel that using cardboard would suffice?

Sinned180

Back to top Go down

Post by Clifford Flath Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:50 pm

Not sure what you mean by "angle support."  Dennis supplied the supports for the windshield left and right side.  These supports were made of polished stainless and bolted via 3 bolts to the left and right side of the fiberglass cowl.  Some careful bending of the supports was necessary.  Dennis also supplied the windshield aluminum frame.  Dennis did not supply (at least when #8 was built) the aluminum angles that were screwed to the stainless supports on one of its angles and to the windshield on the other side of the angel.  The aluminum required for this angle was made with left over pieces of aluminum from the body panels.  Its angle needed to be a bent to a bit more than 90 degrees--maybe 100.  

Many Stalker builders abandoned the frame and just screwed the windshield to the aluminum angles.   That might be a little easier, but not much.  Mostly they did that because they liked the look.

I used 3/16" polycarbonate for my windshield--Lexan is a brand of polycarbonate.  It's super strong.  1/8" is enough, but I think 3/16" makes it more stable in a breeze.  Or does Canada require glass?

I have the plywood windshield pattern Dennis sent.  I could mail it to you, but a poster board pattern of it would be almost as useful and less $$$ to ship.  Send me an address and I will mail one or the other to you.

You also need the windshield bottom gasket.  Somewhere I probably still have the source for that.  I will look for it.

If you have no tools to bend that aluminum angle, I could make one that will be very close to what you need and send it to you.  Let me know.

Warm weather will come to even you soon, so get that windshield on there.

Here's my windshield pictures:
http://www471.pair.com/stalkerv/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=5230

Clifford Flath

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down